Thursday 1 December 2011

My fathers occupation


My fathers occupation as given on my birth certificate is that of dairy man. His father had established the Gladstone dairy at Pennant Street Parramatta. For many years that business supplied milk to the residents of Parramatta. milk was delivered twice daily, in those days and life at the dairy are recalled amongst my earliest memories. I do not recall the exact number of horse drawn milk carts that operated from the Pennant H. establishment, but it would be in the vicinity of eight. The horses and carts were located at Pennant H. and the milk and cream was distributed from there. The cows, a herd of black and white Freisians were maintained and milked on a large property out at H. Marys, toward Penrith. The milk was brought into Pennant St by the truck load, generally in large, approx. Twelve gallon stainless steel milk cans, pasteurised and then delivered out to the household, of Parramatta. There were no milk bottles in those days. Each household left out a billycan or container once or twice daily and the milk was delivered by hand in multiples of ½  and 1 pint or more as requested. Each milk carter maintained a record of deliveries made to each household. a few people paid cash for their milk, the majority received their milk on credit. Accounts were sent out either fort nightly or monthly. (Possibly weekly but I’m not sure on that.) however as mentioned , there was not much money about in those Depression years and consequently many people were unable to pay for their milk. I understand that my grandfather supported many many people throughout Parramatta in those days by maintaining the supply of their milk even though they did not have the money to pay for it. My grandfather Arthur Henry Collett was also Mayor of Parramatta for a number of years I believe from 1912 onward (?) He was acknowledged as one of the founding fathers of the modern day city of Parramatta. He also suffered a disability before I was born having lost a hand at the wrist , whilst feeding hay into a steam driven chaff cutter whilst preparing feed for the horses and cows.
After his death in the early 1930’s a monument was erected on an area of land tobe known as Collett’s Park, at the  intersection of Victoria road and Pennant Street, Parramatta. He was a well respected and much liked man. On his death he left a wife Maude (Mum Mum) and nine children, five daughters, Ruth, may, Trix, Maude (Bossy) and Louise and four sons. My father Mick as he was known, George, Jed and Rex. The four sons all worked at the Pennant ST Dairy and they continued the business after their fathers death.
    The Gladstone Dairy was located in Pennant St beside the (Collett) Park. Grandview St was directly opposite the dairy off Victoria Rd at R. right angles. The dairy consisted of several large buildings, where all the washing, Pasteurising, loading and dispatch were carried out. A large  barn contained fodder and stalls for the feeding of the horses. There was also a building to house the carts and harness for the horses as well as garage for the two trucks and car. There were Paddocks approx fifteen acres out the back  where the horses (probably more than 15) p4 were kept. As mentioned the cows were maintained out at St Marys where they were milked etc. in those days there was insufficient land at Parramatta to provide for such a large herd of dairy cattle as needed for the supply of milk. There is no trace left of Gladstone Dairy today, only the Park remains. Progress and development saw the whole enterprise taken over for housing and residential development. Gladstone Dairy started to go after World War 2  when the NSW Dairy farmers Assoc., I believe a government body, took over the dairy operation and the land was also acquired by the NSW housing commission for residential development. The whole concern became fragmented along with the family and thereafter they all seemed to go their separate ways. However it was long before that, that my parents made the decision to separate. most probably my mothers mind was made up for her by her mother and at the age of about six, Mum Jean Doreen Daphne and myself were taken off from Grandview ST. by my grandfather and Uncle Arnold, Mums brother, to live with them at Bathurst. Brother Jack stayed at Parramatta with our father. That was quite a traumatic period or episode I expect, although I do not recall much of the events leading there to. I do clearly recall the day with grandfather Peacock and Uncle Arn being there with their car packing us all up and into the car and driving off to Bathurst. I clearly recall our great aunt Edna Bailey who was my fathers aunt on his mothers side saying to me make sure you get in the car love and don’t get left behind. p5  My parents marriage had been deteriorating for some considerable time and my father was associating with another woman when the break up occurred. Jessie Burgess was her name. She and her son Ray moved in withg my father some time  after we left for Bathurst. My Fathers Mother, brothers and sisters all resented what my father was doing to his family and the way that he treated my mother. From then onward, there was constant friction between him, his mother and family and eventually they all bought him out of the dairy business and he faded into oblivion for many years there after. I understand that he bought a dairy farm about the Moss Vale area, struck a few bad years and eventually lost all of his money and property along with his lady friend. My father had served in the First World War from 1915 until wars end. He saw service through France in the Veterinarian Corps, being closely related to the tendering and maintenance of horses. He was discharged as a Sergeant. he re enlisted in the second World War but I know nothing of his life through those years. It was not until around 1949 or 50 that I came back into contact with my father. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!!! I was just searching up Parramatta for my Geography assignment and then I remembered my Great Great Grandfather, Arthor Henry Collett! And then I found you!!!!! ^_^ One of your grandfather's sons was named Rex, and he is my Great Grand father. And then Rex had a son named John Collett, and he is my grandfather! So you two are cousins - which i think you already know ^_^ And I just wanted to say that I am really really happy that I found you and even though we may never meet, I am very proud and honoured to have you as an Uncle!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brooke
      I was so moved to receive your message on this blog site! My name is Lynne Collett and I and my children put up these words that my father wrote a few years ago.
      My family and I were recently at Collett Park in Parramatta where we had a ceremony for my father Bruce Collett who sadly passed away last year.
      I had forgotten how to access this site until we received your message. Now I can see that it is accessible and remember how to go here.
      Family history is very interesting and it is great that you are researching Parramatta history. I have also been finding out more of Parramatta history through the rich family history that we have.
      If you or your family are interested in sharing family history and stories please contact me on lynnecollett@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.
      I hope your history project went really well and I really enjoyed reading your interesting, caring and informative post!
      Warmest regards
      Lynne

      Delete